Two times the electrical vary at 100 kilometres, 110 slightly than 90 kW of electrical energy and a degree baggage compartment with through-loading facility: the brand new plug-in hybrid from Mercedes-Benz, the S 580 e (mixed gas intake, weighted: 1.0-0.6 l/100 km; mixed CO2 emissions, weighted: 22-15 g/km; mixed energy intake, weighted: 24.8-20.7 kWh/100 km) has many benefits in comparison to its predecessor. Over all the lifecycle, it’s extra environmentally pleasant and subsequently extra sustainable: if manufacturing, use over 300,000 kilometres and recycling are taken into consideration, this type produces round 14.1 (charging with Ecu energy combine) or 36.2 % (hydroelectric energy) decrease CO₂ emissions than its predecessor, the S 560 e. This can be a results of the Mercedes-Benz 360° environmental take a look at.
“We now have speeded up our Ambition 2039 programme to make our cars and our corporate CO2-neutral. We’re systematically following this goal, with a complete method. This is why we have a look at all the price chain: from construction to the provider community, our personal manufacturing, the electrification of our merchandise and the usage of renewable energies to recycling on the finish of the use section,” says Markus Schäfer, member of the Board of Control of Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG, Leader Generation Officer, Construction & Procurement. “Mercedes-Benz paperwork those results exactly, and has the ensuing stability sheet checked and showed through unbiased professionals The S 580 e has effectively finished this validation audit.” You’ll obtain the 360° environmental take a look at as a pdf document right here.
The S 580 e is produced within the extremely versatile and environment friendly Manufacturing facility 56 in Sindelfingen. Put in on its roof is a photovoltaic gadget with round 12,000 PV modules and an output of round 5000 kWp (kilowatt top). This feeds self-generated inexperienced electrical energy to the manufacturing store. The upstream manufacturing of fabrics and parts creates extra carbon dioxide than for the former type. That is basically because of the higher light-alloy content material within the bodyshell and the bigger high-voltage battery with a capability of 28.6 kWh. This downside in manufacturing will also be greater than compensated within the use section: doubling the electrical working vary results in a considerably upper share of all-electric trips. Over all the working existence, there are transparent benefits for the S 580 e, particularly the place CO2 is worried. That is very true when renewable electrical energy is used for charging.
Along the CO2 growth, the S 580 e additionally has benefits over its predecessor with appreciate to its eutrophication (EP) and summer season smog (POCP) attainable. Because of the upper share of all-electric using, the intake of fossil sources (ADP fossil) will also be diminished through 16 % (Ecu energy combine) or 59 % (hydroelectric energy) respectively.
Extra details from the 360° environmental take a look at:
- A complete of 202 parts of the brand new S-Magnificence are comprised of resource-saving fabrics. The whole weight of those parts is 98.9 kilograms.
- As an example, the ground coverings are comprised of a regenerated nylon yarn with the business identify Econyl®. That is manufactured through improving nylon waste destined for landfill, for instance, previous fishing nets and upholstery remnants from generators and carpets.
- The brand new S-Magnificence used to be advanced to satisfy the seal of high quality necessities of the Ecu Centre for Hypersensitive reaction Analysis Basis (ECARF) and has been awarded this seal. ECARF awards this seal in popularity of goods whose allergy-friendliness it has scientifically examined. The necessities are intensive: a large number of parts from every apparatus variant of a automobile are examined for inhalable allergens, for instance. As well as, the pollen clear out is examined for proper functioning in each new and used situation. As well as, exams are carried out the usage of human topics.
- Dismantling data for ELV recyclers performs the most important function within the recycling idea. For the S‑Magnificence too, all vital data is supplied electronically by way of the World Dismantling Knowledge Machine (IDIS).
- This brochure items the detailed result of the environmental evaluate for the 3rd era of the S-Magnificence. The primary entire environmental evaluate used to be revealed again in 2005.
Concerning the new S-Magnificence plug-in hybrid fashions
The fourth era of the hybrid force gadget has celebrated its premiere within the new S-Magnificence. Along with the S 580 e, the S 580 e 4MATIC (mixed gas intake, weighted: 1.0-0.7 l/100 km; mixed CO2 emissions, weighted: 23-16 g/km; mixed energy intake, weighted: 25.5-21.9 kWh/100 km)1 has not too long ago and for the primary time presented a plug-in hybrid with an all-wheel force into this phase.
With an electrical energy output of 110 kW/150 hp and an all-electric vary of over 100 kilometres (WLTP), each fashions will also be pushed with out the usage of the combustion engine in lots of instances. The foundation for the hybrid force gadget is supplied through the six-cylinder in-line M 256 engine with 270 kW/367 hp from the present era of Mercedes-Benz engines. The excessive energy density of the hybrid traction head is accomplished the usage of a completely excited synchronous motor with the interior rotor.
The 480 Nm top torque of the electrical motor is to be had proper from the beginning, leading to excessive agility when shifting off, together with dynamic using efficiency. The highest pace within the ELECTRIC using mode is 140 km/h, and then the velocity is gently restricted.
An 11 kW charger is on board as usual for three-phase charging from the AC mains community. A 60 kW DC charger is to be had for speedy charging with an instantaneous present. Even an empty battery will also be absolutely charged in round half-hour.
 The said figures are the measured “WLTP CO2 figures” according to Article 2 No. 3 Enforcing Legislation (EU) 2017/1153. The gas intake figures have been calculated at the foundation of those figures.
 Eutrophication attainable (overfertilization attainable); have an effect on class expressing the possibility of oversaturation of a organic gadget with crucial vitamins.
 Photochemical ozone introduction attainable; have an effect on class that describes the formation of photo-oxidants (“summer season smog”).
 Abiotic useful resource intake (abiotic = non-living); have an effect on class describing the relief of the worldwide inventory of uncooked fabrics as a result of the extraction of non-renewable sources.